Monday 12 October 2009

My Favourite Altar Boy



Ever since I was a child roaming the streets of Valletta, the plaster altar boy asking for donations to help him become a priest ("ghinni insir qassis") has stood outside the door of 227, Merchants Street. I even had a little crush on him at one point, in fact I keep a framed photo of him in the flat to this very day.

According to today´s (Malta) Times (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20091012/local/the-50-year-old-altar-boy) the statue has been there since the late 1950s and originally came from Spain. Funnily enough, a couple of days ago I came across a similar one, made as a prop for a movie, in an antiques shop in El Borne. I would have bought it there and then, only it had a price tag of 1,800€. I suppose I´ll have to make do with the photograph!

No comments:

Post a Comment